13 Feb 2011

It's a little bit funny, this feeling inside - Top 10 Alt/Indie Love Songs

So, in case you'd not noticed, it's Valentine's Day tomorrow. And like the unoriginal blogger I am, I thought I'd do a slightly Valentine's themed Top 10 list. I know I should be uber-cool and sneery about Valentines Day and how it's just another way for the marketing gods to get us to spend money on shit we don't need or want but.....I'm a real romantic at heart. I spent so many Valentine's Days alone when I was a teenager and was even the butt of several cruel Valentine's related pranks - so to have someone to share Valentine's with is so lovely. Even after 9 years together, husbando and I still give each other a token card + try to spend a little time together on the day.

Having said all that, a few years ago I decided that Valentine's day shouldn't just be limited to your partners - I love all my friends very much and so I always try to send them a Valentine's message too. After all love can be platonic also. So, lovely readers of my blog, here is my Valentine to each and every one of you - my top 10 favourite love songs.

And btw, before you totally freak out and wonder what kind of blog this is, you should know by now that I don't like regular sappy shit. Hopefully at least one of the songs below will be familiar and tug at your heartstrings also.

Creep - Radiohead
If there is a better song about unrequited love, I don't know it. Thom Yorke's impassioned plea and self-misery may not be to everyone's taste, but I absolutely love this song. And, as someone who has `suffered the pangs of unrequited love` this song was my anthem. Nothing says I love you quite so much as "I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo, I don't belong here". Having said that, it's no surprise that the object of his rather obsessive affections runs out the door at the end!

You Look So Fine - Garbage
Another song about unrequited love - but one that I played over and over whilst in pursuit of my husband when I was a university (now I sound like a total looper!!). Rather than the sorrow of Creep, this song, for me, is all about desire and wanting - which comes across so well in the lyrics "I want to take you home/We're wasting time, you're the only one for me". It just gives me goosebumps whenever I hear this song, and makes me smile ruefully, wishing I could go back and tell my 20 year old self not to cry anymore, as she'd end up marrying the person causing the tears!

Crazy - Aerosmith
Well now, aside from possibly being one of my favourite music videos of all time (now there's a top 10 list for the future) - how could you not love Liv Tyler + Alicia Silverstone getting up to no good - I just am totally *crazy* about this song. Yes, it's cheesey, yes, it's big haired naff rock but hell yeah - this list would be nothing without a dirty ditty from Steve Tyler! I'd love to meet (or be, even) the kind of woman that could drive him to write the lyrics "That kinda lovin' turns a man to a slave/That kinda lovin' sends a man right to his grave...That kinda lovin' makes me wanna pull down the shade, yeah!" We've all felt like this for sure - a slave to love, sex and everything in between and Aerosmith sing about it so very charmingly - this song always, but always makes me smile!

Starlight - Muse
I love this song so much that we walked back down the aisle to this at my wedding. It's just such a kick-ass song. I'm not sure it is the most romantic love song ever "I don't know if it's worth it anymore" but Matt Bellamy's pleas to "Hold you in my arms/I just wanted to hold you in my arms" and "My life/You electrify my life" just say it all really! It was such an uplifting song to walk out to and - it allowed me to just add a tiny bit of my rock chick tastes to our rather more elegant + tasteful wedding (my desire to walk down the aisle to Sweet Child of Mine was, sadly, vetoed!).

All Is Full Of Love - Bjork
I don't really have the words to say what this song means to me - but it's my ultimate love song (and another consideration for wedding music, sadly also vetoed on the grounds that it was "too weird" - which surely is never a term that's been used to describe Bjork before....much). Anyway the plaintive melody + Bjork's voice just absolutely haunts me on this one. It totally describes that sensation when you've first fallen in love and you can't think of anything else "Your phone is off the hook/All is full of love/Your doors are all shut/All is full of love". The repetition of all is full of love is so soothing and lovely plus the music video with the Bjorkbot is pretty freakin awesome.

Umbrella - Manic Street Preachers
I was amazed to discover that the music gods that are MSP have done a cover version of Rhianna's 2007 hit - but it is just so cool, as only something created by MSP can be. They've rocked it up big style - love love love the guitars on this one, but what makes it hit my top 10 love songs is also the lyrics.  Slightly cliched they may be, who can beat such gems as "Baby, cause in the dark, you can't see shiny cars/That's when you need me there" and "You can stand under my umbrella". I unashamedly love this song because sometimes, we all need a little bit of support - and to me, love is part of that. Even if you don't agree, it's a great cover version - enjoy!

The Blowers Daughter - Damian Rice
Just. So. Beautiful. I think that this song is actually a very sad love song - about something that has gone terribly wrong. But the repetition of "can't take my eyes off you" just yanks at my heart every time. I think the usage on the Closer soundtrack just makes it more poignant - I shan't say anymore in case you've not seen the film. But anyway, a great song but one you might need tissues for :)

Forever Young - Youth Group
The original version - not the one from the O.C. - and um, another bit of music from my wedding (yeahhhhh I talk about it A LOT don't I - sorry folks!). Anyway, not strictly a love song - more of a political pop song "Are you gonna drop the bomb or not...praising our leaders, we're getting in tune" - it just reminds me of when husbando + I first fell in love, when we were at uni. So it's just personal to us really, but still a great song - and one for sunny summer days, drinking wine and running around having fun. Hope you like it too.

Starcrossed - Ash
Ash's incredible homage to Romeo + Juliet, this list would not be complete without this song! It's just so great - I want to say happy, even though clearly Romeo + Juliet did not have the happiest of endings - but this song is just so full of energy and love. It makes me mouth along to the lyrics when I listen to it on the bus - and when I'm home alone, I sing along enthusiastically. How can you not adore the dulcet tones of Tim Wheeler singing "When your faith turns to despair/Always will my love be there/And never fade away". The guitar solo is also awesome. Listen and love people!

All I Want Is You - U2
Hi, my name is stupidgirl and I'm a.......U2 fan. There, I said it, in public, out loud on my blog. I refuse to live in shame anymore. I know that it's not big and it's not cool but I am a hey-ooge U2 fan. Very sorry if this offends any of you out there who have uber-trendy music tastes, but hey, I never made any pretence of the fact that actually, I am deeply, deeply uncool! So, back to the list + the song. There were so many U2 songs I could have chosen (One, With or Without You at the very least) but for me, this is the ultimate U2 love song. It's so simple and romantic and I get goose bumps every time I hear it. I'll just quote one section of lyrics that sum it all up for me "But all the promises we make/ From the cradle to the grave/ When all I want is you". Even if you think you hate U2 and Bono's preaching, please give this song just one listen, it's worth it I promise.

So that's it! That's my list - as ever thanks for tuning in and please do leave your comment below and share *your* fave love songs - I'd love to broaden my music tastes. In fact, before I go, here are a few of the suggestions that were tweeted at me this afternoon that I liked, so check out the songs + the tweeters!

@petercrosby Chumbawamba - By and By
@_scruffian Kinks - You Really Got Me
@onlyrealhowie Living Colour - Broken Hearts
@nicoleg75 REM - The One I Love
@silverelefanfic Stone Roses - 10 Storey Love Song

I'll be back later in the week with WoTW - Motivation, where I talk about the positive effect that my rock climbing has had on my writing (weirdly) plus the usual interview, photo essay and top 10 next weekend. Thanks for tuning in and have a great week.

Thank you and good night

Stupidgirl has left the building

13 comments:

  1. What a great list! I'll post a couple that mean something to husband and me, although I think I tweeted you most of them last week!

    Ash - Girl From Mars
    New Radicals - You Get What You Give (we had our first kiss to this song)
    Jimmy Eat World - Just Watch The Fireworks (first dance song)
    The Beach Boys - God Only Knows & Wouldn't It Be Nice
    The Ramones - Baby, I Love You (we walked out to this at our wedding)
    Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
    Blink 182 - Going Away To College

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting list!! And Yay! I got a mention. Agree wholeheartedly with U2. The violins in All I Want is You give me chills every time.

    Another of my favourites - Jeff Buckley, Lover You Should Have Come Over.

    My choices were all a bit twisted, funny that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some over lap. Like Arrowsmith and the forever young offering......but what about bonnie tyler's total eclipse of the heart (Still can't figure out the exact feelings of the 'singer' but I like it.) ...and true its quirky for Vanentine's Day, but the old, bobby brown anthem - It's My Perogative, with its rhythms and beat gets right down to it. (always imagine it as the theme song to my blog).....Oh, yeah, I forgot. the u2 song also makes my list.....Have a wonderful holiday....and about those episodes of teenage troubles and angst..what are you crazy?...it happens to everybody...'popular' kids too, only they really hide it, because they can't deal with it. Teens are animals. It just goes with the territory. Teen trauma---another blog idea?...Well, have a good relaxing sunday nite....Off for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel - every time I hear Jimmy Eat World I think of you + your wedding pics + makes me all tearful! I need to try Death Cab for Cutie - everyone says I'll like them. Thanks for commenting

    Nicole - I need to check out that Jeff Buckley as I love his voice :)

    LV - well I love Ville but not sure Wicked Game rilly has a place on here. Maybe I need to do a top 10 shagging songs?!

    Will - LOVE bonnie tyler oh yes, LOL thanks so much for your comments, you're too cute :) Happy valentine's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever Fallen In Love With Someone You Shouldn't Have Fallen In Love With by Buzzcocks.

    Which was also the song played at our wedding while we signed the register...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie Tyler for sure... and you picked my fave U2 number which always brings a tear to my eye also.

    My list would include older soppies with simple lyrics, I'm afraid (some even older than me, almost) but Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Platters I think 195?)has to be one of them; Every Time We Say Goodbye (Sarah Vaughan)Dream Lover (Bobby Darin)Stand By Me (Ben E King)

    Our wedding song was by Billy Joel 'Just the Way You Are' (which dates me I know!).

    I have to include a Beatles number (so many again to choose from) but for me it's 'If I Fell'.

    Leonard Cohen may be old but still very sexy and not miserable at all - try Ain't No Cure for Love......

    As for rocknroll - Neil Young 'Heart of Gold' takes some beating; REM's 'Everybody Hurts';
    Tina Tuner's 'Simply The Best', Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' - the list over the past 50 years is endless :-)

    Have a happy day stupidgirl xxxxxxxxxxx
    Long Live Love (isn't that the title of a song?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS how could I forget Snow Patrol!!!
    Run
    Light up, light up
    As if you have a choice
    Even if you cannot hear my voice
    I'll be right beside you dear
    and
    Chasing Cars
    I don't quite know
    How to say
    How I feel
    Those three words
    Are said too much
    They're not enough

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, thank you! How was your Valentine's Day, by the way? Mine was a bit of all right, lol. By the way, I've given you a blog award over on mine :O) http://bangouttheprose.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's taken a while to come up with my top 10 but here they are in no particular order

    Hallelujah - has to be the Leonard Cohen though
    I knew I loved you before I met you - Savage Garden
    Come What May - from Moulin Rouge
    Always a woman to me - Billy Joel
    Rule the World - Take That
    All is full of Love - Bjork
    I Luv you - Ordinary Boys
    All I want is you - U2
    Here, there and everywhere - The Beatles
    Closer - NIN

    They all seem to reflect a different facet of love for me, not necessarily the hearts and flowers type

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow so many comments!!

    Mum/GiW - I know you love Snow Patrol, we went to their gig remember!

    LV - need to youtube that HIM song then!

    Suz - wow thank you so much, will tweet you to figure out if I can get a logo for that to put on my blog! I had a lovely V day thanks. xx

    DemonWr - Excellent list. I love love love that Billy Joel song, makes me cry. Also Rule the World :) I prefer Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah though sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another one you should check out - Stuff and Nonsense by Split Enz. The Neil Finn Enzso version is particularly brilliant. Message to my Girl is another great love song by Split Enz.

    Ooh, Into Temptation by Crowded House as well.

    Got to promote the Antipodeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love love Neil Finn/Crowded House. Into Temptation is fab as is his solo album stuff. I love `Wherever You Are` and `The Climber`

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. CRAZY MASKS IN PUBLIC 2021 I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete